Friday, March 21, 2014

World Down Syndrome Day

If you had asked me exactly one year ago, I wouldn't have had a clue about the significance of 3-21 on the calendar. This day last year I had no idea that a little miracle was forming inside me. And while the amazing process of a life being formed was happening, something no one ever expects happened to the tiny life inside me. She received an extra copy of her 21st chromosome. 

I've researched more than I could have ever imagined about the significance of that one extra chromosome. To some, it's unthinkable. Punishable by death. My heart breaks for those people that will never meet their child because they just couldn't bare the thought of having a child like mine. 
I've wondered for several months about what we would do today. Would we have a party? Release balloons? Do something special and significant? 

Here's what we did... We had a completely normal day that any other family with a "typical" 4 month old would have.
 We shopped, we lunched, we played, we stopped for strangers to ooh and ahhh over our beautiful baby girl. We had tummy time and laughed so hard at the adorable and giggly girl that Hannah Belle has become. Not once did I look at her and think about Down syndrome. 

To me, this was the best way to spend this day. Hannah is a lot of things to me...miraculous, beautiful, life changing. 

But one very important thing I want the world to know about Hannah Belle is that she's also just an ordinary baby. 

Happy World Down Syndrome Day Hannah Belle. 




No comments:

Post a Comment